Nduka Obaigbena At 60: A Note of Appreciation To ‘The Duke’


A happy diamond birthday anniversary to ‘The Duke of Journalism’, publisher, founder and chairman of the former ThisWeek magazine, ThisDay newspapers, Arise magazine, Arise Fashion Week, Arise News TV, and a two-time president of Newspapers Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), Prince Nduka Obaigbena. Although my interaction with his ThisDay started on November 18, 2003 when my article was first published in the newspaper, I did not have the opportunity of meeting the media octopus until I joined the services of Arise News TV as an in-house analyst in December 2017.
I remember that fateful day in October 2017 when I got a call from the managing editor of the Abuja office of Arise News TV, Mr. Bayo Awosemo, informing me that “The chairman seems to like your analysis and has asked me to negotiate with you to join our team of news analysts in Abuja”. I promptly took up the offer as I had never been so treated by any of the over thirty print and electronic media that have been featuring me since 1990, when I started my media advocacy voyage. I eventually joined a three-man team of news analysts, comprising Mr. Tony Amadi, Mr. Emmanuel Bello and Mr. Sebastian Agbinda. We were recently joined by Dr. Sam Amadi.
During my first time on the Arise News TV set in August 2017, I marveled at the cutting edge technology being deployed in news production, transmission and casting. Even the choice of Transcorp Hilton as the office for the TV station is very strategic. Although having an office space in a five star hotel may be very expensive, however it makes it easier to draw in the ‘movers and shakers’ of Nigerian society to come over to the studio for interviews. Chairman Obaigbena also has a pool of ‘international subject matter experts’ across the globe who analyse news for the station. These are media consultants who get paid for their services. Being a ‘studio rat’ of a sort, who gets regularly invited across many electronic media, this is a pace-setting effort that is peculiar to the Arise News TV. I stand to be corrected on this.
I have also observed that ‘The Duke’ loves giving the youth opportunity to excel. Many of our reporters, producers and newscasters are in their 20s and 30s. He is also an equal opportunity employer with a gender-balanced team. One other thing I like about the prince from Delta State is his high standards. For instance, Arise News TV is only on DSTV and GOTV in Nigeria, as well as on top range channels in Europe and America. With offices in the United Kingdom, Lagos and Abuja, the man has plans to open more offices in his global expansionist agenda.
Sixty hearty cheers to this workaholic, visionary and media mogul. Sir, may you live the rest of your life in good health and joy. Many thanks for the opportunity to serve in your media conglomerate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wishing you the best of 2010

Insecurity: Nigerians as endangered specie

Jide Ojo, Asorogbayi, at 55