Follow your passion

I got involved in media advocacy for development 27 years ago. Precisely in October 1990 when due to the pervasive misery in the land I took up the challenge posed by my lecturer at the University of Ibadan, Prof. OBC Nwolise to get involved in speaking out against the injustices, poverty, bad governance and underdevelopment in the country. He had challenged us in Advanced Level Extra Mural  class in 1988 that beyond the street protests, we can actually write opinions for publications in newspapers in order to ventilate our grievances. So to speak, Prof. Osisioma Nwolise nudged me into what has now given me identity; name and face recognition. My gratitude to the erudite scholar.
Twenty-seven years ago, I didn’t know I will earn my living in the development sector better known as Non-Governmental Organisation.  I didn’t even know I will one day become a development consultant. To God alone be all the glory for ordering my steps along the path that am now treading. My media advocacy and work as a consultant are mutually reinforcing. Yes, I may not have made money, stricto sensu  (a la late Professor Adekunle Amuwo)  from my media advocacy but I have gained a lot. My friend of life, Sheriff  Folarin, an Associate Professor at the  Covenant University is one of the many beautiful gifts media have given me. Our path crossed at the defunct Sketch Press in Ibadan in 1993. I have equally shared same platform with movers and shakers of Nigeria: Senators, House of Representatives members, University dons, media icons,  top security operatives including the incumbent Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim  K Idris,  and many more.

My voyage through the Nigerian media has enabled me to become an author with two books – “Nigeria, My Nigeria: Perspectives from 1990 – 2010” and “A Nation in Tow: Essays on Governance and Leadership in Nigeria”.  At present, I have over 700 published articles in about 25 print media and have made about 400 appearances in over twenty broadcast media.  What’s more, it has saved me from depression, boosted my self-confidence and self-esteem as well as my world view. My eternal gratitude to all media houses and personalities who have granted me opportunity to air my views on their programmes. Don’t get it twisted; it’s not the media that I am passionate about but knowledge impartation. Those who have been privileged to attend my numerous trainings will attest to this. Dear readers, what are you passionate about? Follow your passion; it may one day be your gateway out of unemployment and poverty and guarantee access to wealth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wishing you the best of 2010

Insecurity: Nigerians as endangered specie

Jide Ojo, Asorogbayi, at 55